The largest town on the Tendring Peninsula, Clacton is the capital of the ‘Essex Sunshine Coast’.
Once a small village it was founded as a seaside resort in 1871 with most visitors then arriving at the pier-head by ferry but still Clacton attracts many visitors including day trippers and people seeking a longer stay. There is also a substantial local population which shop regularly in the town.
The Town Square is very centrally located between on Pier Avenue and was refurbished in 2007 for the purpose of holding events to attract visitors and encourage local shoppers. It is an attractive space and very much at the heart of the town.
Traders report that Clacton is an excellent location to sell appealing but inexpensive goods while shoppers are always pleased to welcome the market and turn out in numbers.